Monday, March 10, 2014

REVIEW ~Tangled by Emma Chase

Title: Tangled
Author: Emma Chase
Series: Tangles #1
Release Date: August 2, 2013

My Rating: 4.5 Stars
Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed?

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating.

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life?

Can Drew Evans win at love?

Tangled is not your mother’s romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women…just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can’t live without.

Oh, Drew Evans. I'm not sure what to do with this hero. Drew is probably one of the most realistic heroes I have ever read. Tangled is told 100% in his POV, and he is extremely frank and open with his thoughts. Granted, some of his thoughts made me think he was a dirtbag. BUT, his explanations and development throughout the story garnered him forgiveness. Kate, on the other hand, is kind of an enigma. One of the reasons I can't wait to get a hold of Twisted is to get inside her head. I know her actions are probably an accurate portrayal of her feelings but, I just need that confirmation. Kate and Drew's story is energetic, fast-paced, hilarious and incredibly steamy. Tangled, is a story of two polar opposites that learn to take steps in the other's shoes. Drew is a very facetious, blase, playboy type, with his only drive being work. While Kate is a very driven individual in all things, and also uptight. These two come together in a meeting of chemistry, that turns full tilt into an emotional journey neither of them were prepared for. 

I loved that I didn't have to be inside Kate's head to connect with her. Yeah, I look forward to getting in her mind, and knowing her true thoughts, but given face-value I was able to connect with her throughout all of Tangled. Drew was more of a mystery. Ironic, since I was actually experiencing their story through his eyes alone. But, to an extent he was almost a contradiction. In the end though, I was left with absolutely no qualm about where his feelings, or loyalty lays. The beauty of this story comes in the last third. Drew Evans has forever redeemed himself, and earned men several brownie points in the process. His perseverance, and expert skills are quite a sight to behold. But, I won't ruin the plot for you :) I have to believe that these two met at the hand of fate, and I swear they tried everything within their powers to screw up her plans. They each take a few plays from each others playbooks and eventually meet in the middle. Kate and Drew learn to give and take with the best, and I can only hope that will be the building blocks when their relationship moves forward in Twisted.

This book is worthy of a slap to my head for waiting so long to read it. I enjoyed every bit of it. It was a refreshing break from the unrealistic books, that I obviously love, but Tangled had that bit of reality and hard work as its base. Obviously, as a whole this book is a work of fiction and most of it will likely never happen. HOWEVER, the characters in this book have a very real vibe to them. It is an extremely unique book. I have to say, as far as my read list is concerned, it is one of a kind. Ms. Chase has told a fun-loving story in an exemplary way. Even the secondary characters sucked me in, and I can't wait to read their stories either. The entire Tangled cast will fold you into their world and make you laugh, sigh with frustration, and wish you were a permanent part of their group. I will definitely be adding all of Emma's books to my TBR list and can't wait for Twisted to arrive!

Happy Reading!

Links to Buy:

Connect with Emma:

No comments:

Post a Comment